Search This Blog

Feb 26, 2013

Old-fashioned creamed chicken



I recently got Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible and I am obsessed with it!
It has SO many fabulous recipes and I am on a mission to make them all!
I liked the sound of this one made with egg noodles and creamy chicken and it was delicous.

You will need:
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
1 Tbsp dry sherry
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or scallions, for garnish
egg noodles

To Make:
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling, about 1 minute.

*If you are making egg noodles with it,
 then I would begin boiling the water and cooking them now*

Whisk in the broth, half and half, and sherry.
Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. 
Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until nice and thick,
3-5 minutes.

Stir in the chicken, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, and warm through.
Serve garnished with parsley or scallions.

I served mine up with egg noodles and I love the flavor it gave. 
You can also serve the chicken with biscuits, corn bread, or rice.

Source: Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment